Plasma Cutter - Hand Cutting Certification
|Plasma Cutter - Hand Cutting Certification|
|Document/Printout||Download (old versions)|
Certification for: Plasma Torch (Metal Shop)
DO NOT USE THIS PAGE AS A SIGN OFF SHEET
Please print the document from the download link in the top right of the wiki page instead!
Training Check-Off List:
- Parts of the CMS’s Hypertherm Powermax85 plasma cutter are properly identified
- Torch lead and connector – can take torch lead on and off
- Work lead, clamp and connector – can install and remove work lead
- Gas supply line
- On/Off Switch
- Operating Mode Switch – can impart different modes
- Expanded metal
- Standard cutting and piercing
- Status Screen
- Current setting
- Fault Icon
- Fault code
- Pressure setting
- Gas Pressure Bar
Machine Capabilities & Limitations
- Student can convey recommended cutting capacities as respective speeds (ipm) for Powermax85.
- Student can convey duty cycle limitations with Powermax85:
- At 85 A, the arc can remain on for 6 minutes out of 10 minutes without causing the unit to overheat (60% duty cycle).
- At 74 A, the arc can remain on for 8 minutes out of 10 (80%)
- At 66 A, the arc can remain on for 10 minutes out of 10 (100%).
- Student utilizes proper Personal Protection Gear – safety glasses, welding helmet or glasses, welding gloves, welding jacket (or long sleeves!) No unrestrained long hair and no flowing clothes. Closed-toed shoes are required.
- Student checks to ensure that work area is safe – No puddles on floor in welding/plasma cutting (handheld) area. Plasma cutting area is free of flammable materials.
- Student adjusts welding screens to make sure no bystanders can be caught by arc-flash
- Student turn on air compressor AND cooling fan
- Student turns on the Powermax85, checks the indicators and verifies the following
- The green power ON LED on the front of the power supply is illuminated.
- The Fault LED is not illuminated.
- No error icons appear in the status screen.
- Student adjusts the current (amperage) for the specific cutting application.
- Student turns on the fume extractor and position extraction arm correctly.
- Student attaches work clamp correctly
- Student demonstrates proper drag-cutting technique
- Student turns off the fume extractor.
- Student turns off the plasma cutter.
- Student turns off air compressor and cooling fan.
- Student disconnects the work clamp, coil cords and stores neatly.
- Student return all tools.
- Student cleans the cutting table and the area around the cutting table.
- Student imparts the following Lockout/Tagout procedure: Tool unplugged and plug wrapped in safe/visible location, tag filled out and posted, front desk and/or Metal Shop Lead notified (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Certifer: Please scan this QR Code to email email@example.com, and include a list of students who have passed this test.
Then, return this form to the front desk (even if the student failed!).