Wood Lathe Certification
|Wood Lathe Certification|
Band Saw Certification
|Document/Printout||Download (old versions)|
Prerequisite Certifications: Band Saw Certification
Certification for: Central Machinery 12"X36" Wood Lathe (Wood Shop), Coronet Record Power Wood Lathe (Wood Shop), Powermatic Model 45 (Wood Shop), Rikon 70-305 (Wood Shop), Rikon Woodfast Series (Wood Shop)
DO NOT USE THIS PAGE AS A SIGN OFF SHEET
Please print the document from the download link in the top right of the wiki page instead!
Training Check-Off List:
- Tool rest
- tail stock
- drive center
- tailstock live center
- head stock
- headstock spindle
- spur drive
- control switches-on off speed
- tailstock banjo
- tool rest locks
- Examine a blank for cracked or loose bark or loose wood.
- Wear correct face and/or eye protection while working on or standing near a turning lathe.
- Secure or remove loose clothing that might get entangled with the work piece.
- Properly chucking a blank between centers using a drive spur.
- Adjusting the banjo and tool rest to the proper position in relation to the blank.
- Setting the gap distance between the blank and the tool rest for proper tool support.
- Checking that the tailstock, chuck or drive spur, tool rest and banjo is locked in place prior to turning and during turning.
- Turning the lathe on and off.
- Adjusting the speed of the lathe
- Turner demonstrates the proper use of the swept back gouge to make roughing cuts, slicing cuts, scraping cuts and shear scraping as indicated on the "cheat sheet".
- Turner demonstrates the appropriate use of the scraper to do a shear scrape.
- Turner sets the jig properly and sharpens a swept back gouge.
- Turner sets the jig properly and sharpens a scraper.
- Work area is cleaned with Shop Vac or broom
- All tools are returned to their proper places
- Student imparts lockout/tagout procedure: Tool unplugged and plug wrapped in safe/visible location, barrel covers and locks, tag filled out and posted, notify front desk (if on site) and email Woodshop Lead immediately.
Certifer: Please scan this QR Code to email email@example.com, and include a list of students who have passed this test.
Then, return this form to the front desk (even if the student failed!).